Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Round Britain 2012

It started well three cars left my house in Birmingham and we cruised down to the start at Crews Hill, it was great to see all the cars and old friends.

Team mate Steve Hudson took the wheel for the first section up to Blyth services, steady driving got us to the check point on time, a quick book signing and off to Carter bar, the England Scottish border another book sign, driver change and dropped a bottle of McJims favourite tipple ;-) Jayson took the next leg up to Edinburgh airport, just a little early, but no reason why, we had not been rushing, then up to Skiach services a driver change and I took the wheel up to John O'Groats. We had an excellent Breakfast and the obligatory photo shoot.
Then Jay drove the section off to across the top of Scotland, Thurso to Bettyhill then the beautiful drive down through the winding roads to Conon Bridge, a brief break for burger hot dogs etc. and down to Morrisons garage at Stirling, through Glencoe and the winding road of Loch Lomond. always a welcome sight and a wonderful welcome, we actually got a Scotch pie this year, so we must have been on time!

we then travelled down to Tebay services where we a had a short break, then down to Glenrid Services we followed Mike and Anne Weaver all the way in their wonderful prototype V8 4x4 2000 estate and kept to around 60 mph, averaging 31.66 mpg.
While we were here  we met up for a drivers meeting and heard about the run so far from Tim Bancroft, Steve took the first leg to Sugar loaf, then Jay carried on down to Gordano services, The West Midlands section of the club had travelled down to welcome every car as it arrived with a generous round of applause, thanks guys it took a lot for you all to travel down to Gordano for 3am, and we were glad to see you. It was here where we heard that Buttercup our Birmingham ladies team had a driveshaft failure, then the herald estate old bill suffered the same issue and had to withdraw  Then down to Lands End via Whitehouse Services, dawn was breaking as we arrived and the breakfast at the visitors centre was excellent.

We travelled up to Bude, this was an opportunity to catch up with lots of the teams before we were off again to Badgers Holt, were we had a welcome pasty (cheers Ash they were proper job)
Off the to Six penny Green where we met some old friends including John and Bridget Snook (supporters of the event for years). Then across country to the TR register HQ at Didcot, then down the M40 and around the M25 both were chaotic accidents plus heavy traffic not helping tired drivers, then we arrived back at the Plough just 14 mins late, a quick dinner then off to the hotel. It was a fabulous event, in a great car with a great team, I enjoyed very much, much thanks to Steve Hudson and Jay Murray my team mates, Mike Weaver helping with windscreen fitting and sealing Mike Papworth for all his help with preparation of MOE, of course the organisers for such a good event.


Post a Comment

<< Home